Thursday, October 16, 2008

I like Getty, but don't rush to this show...


This weekend I also saw the exhibition of Bernini and the Birth of the Baroque Portrait Sculpture at the Getty Center. Although the Getty is probably the most visited museum in Los Angeles it is my least favorite. The Getty is an amazing architectural space, and the garden is gorgeous, but I often find that their shows don’t offer much depth. I understand that they are geared more towards a family and broader audience however I still feel they could also offer something more for someone who has an arts background. I went to this exhibition because after going to Rome this summer and seeing all Bernini’s fountains and monuments and his work on the exterior of the Saint Peters I knew I had to see the exhibition. The show consists of busts of various important individuals in the Baroque period. I understand that Bernini’s masterpieces in the Borghese Gallery and all over Rome could not be included in the show but I would like some reference to them. Bernini really was incredible to create such lifelike sculptures out of marble. I just wish the exhibition could have offered more information or insight into Bernini or tried to show a different side of his work.

No comments: